Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH)
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an educational and trade publisher in the United States. Headquartered in Boston’s Back Bay, it publishes textbooks, instructional technology materials, assessments, reference works, and fiction and non-fiction for both young readers and adults.
What Role We Played
- Through the Global Education Challenge, HMH offered $250,000 in cash and prizes to crowdsource truly original ideas that could become tangible tools to improve student outcomes across the globe – both inside and outside the classroom.
- Carter Research leadership and staff (at the time employees of HMH) designed, developed, and executed the project which sourced and identified the winning ideas. Team hosted national media event that attracted leaders from institutions like the IDB, the IMF, and the World Bank to learn about and encourage further investment in these transformational approaches to educating young people.
See videos for the project rationale and the winning ideas ultimately selected.
Why This Matters
- A good idea will produce measurable educational outcomes that are not incrementally better, but fundamentally different in kind than what passes for typical student progress today.
- Unfortunately, great ideas usually do not win in the global education marketplace.
- All across the globe millions of children can be taught more cost effectively through means available to us today.